s

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

St. Patrick's Day, for Strength

I know I am 2 days early with this post, but I am off to the Emerald Isle in a few hours to prepare for an onslaught of Irish Music, Fellowship, and innumerable pints of Arthur Guinness' finest. This is a reunion of sorts - my first trip to Ireland was 5 years ago, on March 16th, 2000. It is where I first fell in love with Guinness, so I am looking forward to going back to renew the love affair yet again. My mother completed the Dublin Marathon in October of 2004, and my presence among the cheering audience endeared me to the city even more, if that were possible. March 17th is easily my favorite holiday of the year. It will be an honour to experience it at the source once again.

So, Tim will be forced to take over the blog for me until I return from the madness. As a side note: I am well aware that since Cooper's taken up residence on this side of the Atlantic, we have been doing more of our political discourse in person. Accordingly, Ahab's Whale has begun veering closer to the "teenage diary" that Norman Spector (see below) finds too often in the blogosphere, as opposed to proper political commentary. Once I return from the weekend of revels, we'll see about commiting to some more substantive political blogging, on a whole host of issues. The British election is almost underway, European Union elections in the Netherlands and France will be well worth watching, the Canadian Tory Convention aftermath will need dissecting, and so on. Until then, Happy Saint Patrick's Day to one and all. Sink back the Guinness, sing along to the chorus of Black Velvet Band, and buy the stranger beside you a pint.


"Some Guinness was spilt on the barroom floor
When the pub was shut for the night.
When out of his hole crept a wee brown mouse
And stood in the pale moonlight.

He lapped up the frothy foam from the floor
Then back on his haunches he sat.
And all night long, you could hear the mouse roar,
"Bring on the goddamn cat!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home