s

Thursday, November 24, 2005

So if the answer is no....

... can I change your mind.

The song of the moment is "Change Your Mind" by the Killers. The rhythm perfect, the lyrics immaculate:

Racey days
Help me through the hopeless haze
But my oh my

Tragic eyes
I can't even recognise myself behind
So if the answer is no
Can I change your mind

Out again, a siren screams at half past ten
And you won't let go
While I ignore, that we both felt like this
Before it starts to show
So if I had a chance
Would you let me know

Why aren't you shaking
Step back in time
Graciously taking
Oh you're too kind
And if the answer is no
Can I change your mind

We're all the same
And love is blind
The sun is gone
Before it shines
And I said if the answer is no
Can I change your mind

Brilliant. Oh, how much Hot Fuss is my favorite, amazingly consistent album since All That You Can't Leave Behind. I cannot count the ways. The sun is gone before it shines. But in a little while...

3 Comments:

Blogger Persico said...

A short true story that you can appreciate...

About a week ago I was talking with one of my customers. A nice old guy for a younger man. Complete sad eyes and electric wit. I was confessing my hopes for a 12 foot blizard and telling him how I was looking for a second morning job. A couple of days later he comes back in and says he has the answer that will solve all of my problems.
He said that he caught wind of a job opening for the mornings where I'm guarenteed to see the snow. He works for Microsoft and said that they need someone up in Nova Scotia somehwere to run the help desk. Was very proud of himself for finding my answer. Snow and additonal morning hours.

I told him that was charming, but there was one problem. That I couldn't leave Irvington (because I love it so) and especially my coffee shop. He said that I could just franchise out to Nova Scotia and I'd see him frequently because he is back and forth betwixt the places often.

All of this brought about while I was listening to said record.

Tis the season.

11:10 AM  
Blogger J. A. MacDuff said...

Give him my email address and I'll take him out for a pint. He can act as a carrier pigeon of letters between us.

That idea of circumventing the post office through intermediaries strikes me as great.

11:29 AM  
Blogger RP. said...

I have to say (and have said) that "All these things I've done" is the best song to play on the radio since, IMO, "Loser," by Beck.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home