s

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

World Cup Briefing

A few notes, as the Premiership pauses for World Cup qualifying:


(1) Well done to the Aussies once again, the perennial champs of the Oceanic Qualifying Group, as they are now one step from Germany. The major task remains however, as a friend from St. Hugh's lamented to me over pints back at Oxford. They must play the 5th place team in South America to make it through. Yoikes.

(2) The Americans are showing surprising form. I had to get my ears checked when I heard that FIFA ranks them 6th in the world, ahead of the likes of England, France, Germany, and Italy - and that's BEFORE victory over #5 Mexico to win the group. That just doesn't make sense. I still think sportsinteraction.com's odds that the U.S. will win the World Cup in either 2006 or 2010 (currently paying 19 to 1) are overblown. But who knows.

(3) Please let this be England's year. The articling schedule might just enable me to make a return overseas for a few days in June-July 2006. Oh, to be in London during England's quest for world cup glory! This year might just be the last best shot for awhile. One can dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home