s

Monday, September 05, 2005

A Mockery?

Cherniak thinks Bush is making a "mockery" of the U.S. Supreme Court with the nomination of John Roberts for Chief Justice, partly because of his lack of experience as a judge. But according to wikipedia:
Most Chief Justices, like William Howard Taft (a former President himself) and Earl Warren, are nominated to the highest position on the Court without any previous experience on the Court, or indeed in the entire United States Judiciary.
And say what you will about Roberts, the man has one heck of a resume. Dick Morris was probably right back in July when he noted the deftness of this particular choice. The simple fact is that the structure of the (re) nomination requirement means it's almost too politically explosive to submit someone on the current bench.

I'm unlikely to be pleased with any judicial nominee of Bush's. I do know I'd definitely rather Roberts over Scalia.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Tiger said...

Much as I like Roberts (and I do), I'm still tremendously disappointed that we will never get to see a "Chief Justice Thomas".

Alas.

Those on the legal left had better hope that Bush goes for Gonzales for the other seat.

5:47 PM  
Blogger J. A. MacDuff said...

Gonzales would be difficult with the support for Iraq at an all-time low. But he does like rewarding his friends.

5:52 PM  
Blogger The Tiger said...

What I mean is, he's about as "moderate" as Bush's picks get.

I'm pulling for Brown, of course. :-)

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home