s

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Quote of the (Fri)day

A day early! Simply because it derives from a larger wonderful article on "classical" music (via Wells) that deserves as large an audience as possible, and because it is wonderful writing that speaks the truth. And who knows where this night will lead me into tomorrow. Do have plans for Shakespearean play #17 since last June tonight. From Vancouver Harbour through London, Oxford, and Stratford, now back to Point Pleasant Park. Bring on The Merchant of Venice. Will Bill Shakespeare do it again?

But to the quote:
The best music is music that persuades us that there is no other music in the world. This morning, for me, it was Sibelius’s Fifth; late last night, Dylan’s “Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands”; tomorrow, it may be something entirely new. I can’t rank my favorite music any more than I can rank my memories.

Alex Ross, "Listen to This"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home