s

Friday, August 19, 2005

Quote of the (Fri)day

Or poem actually. More Kavanaugh (favorite line obviously bold-faced):
Lines Written on a Seat on the Grand Canal Dublin
“Erected to the Memory of Mrs Dermot O’Brien.” (1958)

O commemorate me where there is water,
Canal water preferably, so stilly
Greeny at the heart of summer. Brother
Commemorate me thus beautifully
Where by a lock Niagarously roars
The falls for those who sit in the tremenduous silence
Of mid-July. No one will speak in prose
Who finds his way to these Parnassian islands.
A swan goes by head low with many apologies,
Fantastic light looks through the eyes of bridges—
And look! A barge comes bringing from Athy
And other far-flung towns mythologies.
O commemorate me with no hero-courageous
Tomb – just a canal-bank seat for the passer-by.

I liked that one so much, here's another, perhaps better:

Epic

I have lived in important places, times
When great events were decided, who owned
That half a rood of rock, a no-man's land
Surrounded by our pitchfork-armed claims.
I heard the Duffys shouting "Damn your soul!"
And old McCabe stripped to the waist, seen
Step the plot defying blue cast-steel -
"Here is the march along these iron stones."
That was the year of the Munich bother. Which
Was more important? I inclined
To lose my faith in Ballyrush and Gortin
Till Homer's ghost came whispering to my mind.
He said: I made the Iliad from such
A local row.
Gods make their own importance.


The Kos '08 Straw Poll continues to favor Wesley Clark. Fair enough, as the bigger shock is, though I recognize he is only at 1%, there are still 158 people at that site who would like John Kerry to run AGAIN. Why? Were there still die-hard Bob Dole supporters out there in 2000? Some things just cannot be explained.

Otherwise, it's another Rum and Coke Friday. Check out yet another classic "Cheers and Jeers": Have a Great Weekend! Go make Liberal babies. Too funny. As Rick James might say, "Enjoy yourself!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home