s

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Severing Old Ties

Jeffrey Simpson [Google's backdoor here] on yesterday's GG ceremony with the unstated question that should be on our collective mind:
So how is the process to begin of transforming this office into the country's de facto and de jure head of state -- of saying that we have matured sufficiently as a country to bid a respectful adieu to an old tie that might have served Canada well when it was a different kind of place from the one personified yesterday by the new Governor-General?

Once King Charles starts gracing the back of our coins, it will only be a matter of time. Time for a high-profile politician to grab hold of the issue and forward the debate. Calling all leaders.

3 Comments:

Blogger Progressive Maritimer said...

I pointed this out on my blog but I will here as well. I don't think many people realize this but getting rid of the monarchy is not simple. In order to make such changes to our constitution, parliament and EVERY province must agree.

As I pointed out on my blog, Nova Scotia and PEI are highly unlikely to go along with this which means in effect that they will vote the motion.

Hurray for the maritimes! :D

Note: If you want a brief summation of my view on the monarchy head over to my blog.

2:10 PM  
Blogger The Tiger said...

I'm with *gasp* the Liberal here. :-)

Anyway, as has been pointed out elsewhere, Charles III will be a much better king than Charles I or Charles II, though I think the play scene will prove to have been better under Charles II.

8:21 AM  
Blogger J. A. MacDuff said...

I never said it was simple. The cause just needs its champion. Nova Scotia my not be ready to renounce the ties, but they will be. It wasn't long ago that you could say the same on same-sex marriage.

Make the case. In the end, the rightness of the idea will prevail.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home