s

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Happy 246th Robbie

January 25th can only mean one thing: a celebration of the lyrical genius and womanizing skills of Scotland's favorite son, Mr. Robert Burns. Last year I had a small dram in Concord, New Hampshire 2 days before the primary - doesn't THAT seem like ages ago.

Certainly my favorite Burns Day memory dates back to 2000, though. On exchange in Glasgow, and a few of the exchange students went out on the town for Scotch and poetry. Cutting back through George Square, Derek Jackson and I took a slight detour to pay our respects to the Burns statue. Out of nowhere emerged an old Scot, who verified that we were not about to steal any of the flowers and then struck up a conversation. Each year at this time I will remember his slightly slurred description of Robbie Burns - the man who "dreamed in laughter".

So here is a small verse in honour of the great one. If you have some time, check out my favorite Burns poem, Tam O'Shanter, as well.

And be sure to get your shot of Scotch tonight - I will try and track down my preferred Talisker, but even the Teacher's is suitable enough.
Epigram On Parting With A Kind Host In The Highlands (1787)

When Death's dark stream I ferry o'er,
A time that surely shall come,
In Heav'n itself I'll ask no more,
Than just a Highland welcome.

Hope you found just that, Robbie. We'll all raise a glass for you tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MacDuff, you drunk, it was two years ago, not one...maybe thats why it doesn't seem like that long ago. Your drunken-haze memories have failed you

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home